IntroductionIt's an easy one to miss. With Mango phones coming from far and wide and droids well at cruising speed, a new smartphone on an emerging platform is going to struggle to get noticed. Apparently, Samsung are in a mood for a fight. The third generation of the Wave is here to make a difference. The Samsung S8600 Wave 3 runs a completely redesigned Bada OS 2.0, and flaunts a bigger and better screen. It's blazing fast too on that 1.4 GHz Snapdragon.
Samsung S8600 Wave 3 official pictures
Bada OS has made the jump to a new major version and the interface can hold its own even against high-end Androids. It is gentle on the hardware too and runs glitch-free on the single-core processor. There's real multi-tasking and one of the best video players on a smartphone. All that in a remarkably solid and stylish metal shell.
No more teasing, here comes the complete feature list and the potential deal-breakers.
- 4" 16M-color SuperAMOLED capacitive touchscreen, WVGA (480 x 800 pixels), scratch-resistant
- Slim and solid metal body with innovative slide-up construction
- Bada OS 2.0 with Samsung Apps
- 1.4 GHz Scorpion single-core CPU
- Quad-band GSM support with dual-band HSPA
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n connectivity, Wi-Fi Direct support, Wi-Fi tethering
- Built-in GPS receiver with A-GPS support, digital compass, Samsung LBS powered by ROUTE 66
- 5 MP autofocus camera with touch focus and LED flash, geotagging, face, smile and blink detection
- 720p video recording at 30fps
- 1GB storage for media, 2GB storage for apps, microSDHC card slot
- Standard microUSB port and Bluetooth v3.0 with A2DP
- Standard 3.5mm audio jack, TV out
- Stereo FM radio with RDS, FM recording
- Webkit-based Samsung Dolphin Browser with Flash Lite support
- YouTube client, Facebook and Twitter integration
- DivX/XviD/H.264/MKV video support with subtitles, AC3 audio support
- Good audio quality
- Voice recognition for both dictation and commands
- Bada OS has comparatively limited number of available applications
- Card slot is not hot-swappable
- No proper Smart Dialling
- SatNav software only a 30-day trial
Samsung S8600 Wave 3 live pictures
To begin with, it certainly is an attention grabber. The compelling exterior is a promise for a solid performance. And we'll hold the Wave 3 to it. Follow us on the next page where we start with unboxing and the usual hardware tour.